Lead the way to safer communities with the MA in Criminal Justice online
Expand your professional opportunities with the 100 percent online Master of Arts in Criminal Justice from the University of Southern Indiana. The industry-relevant coursework in this program emphasizes the application of research to real-world problems in the justice system, theoretical explanations of crime and deviance, and the impact of criminal justice practices.
This career-focused MA in Criminal Justice offers a flexible pathway to developing the leadership and analytical abilities necessary for implementing innovative strategies to protect your community. Tailor your degree to your interests by choosing from elective courses in crime and media, domestic terrorism, or policing strategies. Receive credit for prior learning by transferring up to 12 credit hours—nine of which can come from prior learning assessments based on relevant work experience—toward your master's degree.
Upon completion of the Master of Arts in Criminal Justice, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate qualities of leadership by applying critical-thinking skills to analyze evidence-based solutions to crime and criminal justice-related problems and effectively communicate those ideas orally and in writing
- Evaluate, apply and assess the implications of criminological theory in analysis of criminal justice policy
- Demonstrate advanced proficiency in research, design and analysis to study crime and criminal justice institutions and policies
- Assess the development, implementation and impact of criminal justice policies and procedures
As a graduate of this online MA program, you will be qualified for various roles in leadership such as:
- Fire Inspector or Investigator
- Private Detective or Investigator
- Police Identification and Records Officer
- Intelligence Analyst
- Police and Sheriff Patrol Officer
- Transit and Railroad Police Officer
- Probation Officer
- Correctional Treatment Specialist
- Customs and Border Protection Officer
The Romain College of Business at the University of Southern Indiana is one of only 5 percent of business schools worldwide to earn this prestigious accreditation from The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International).
MBA programs also available:
USI also offers multiple MBA concentrations online. Check out all our MBA online degree programs.
Earn your MA affordably with our pay-by-the-course tuition
USI is committed to providing an outstanding education that also is affordable. Tuition is structured to give our students the best value and flexibility.
View additional tuition information
For more information about tuition, fees and other costs, visit our Financial Aid Cost of Attendance page.
*Tuition applicable for current start dates and is subject to change. Any questions regarding tuition should be directed to the Bursar's Office. If you step out of the program, returning to the program may have different tuition and fees applied.
Application fee: $40
Active military service members and veterans receive an admission fee waiver. Simply apply online and select the "military waiver" option, then contact our office at 800-467-1965 so we may submit the proper forms to Graduate Studies.
Billing and Payment Schedule
View financial aid information
The first step in applying for financial aid is to file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Your FAFSA must be received by the federal processing center by April 15th each year to be considered for state financial aid as well as federal financial aid. USI's Federal School Code is 001808. You will need an FSA ID to electronically sign your FASFA. If you do not have an FSA ID, you may create one at StudentAid.gov.
Once you are admitted to the program and we receive your FAFSA, you can see the financial aid you qualify for and accept or decline your Direct Student Loan on your myUSI. For more information about tuition reimbursement or financial resources that may be available to you, visit our Student Financial Assistance page, access our Financial Aid FAQs, or contact us.
Student Financial Assistance Office
Local Phone: 812-464-1767
Toll Free Phone: 800-467-1965
Email: [email protected]
Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (CDT)
Create an academic schedule that fits your busy life
Now is the time to start earning your MA online and take the fast track to a more successful career. USI provides you with the convenience of an accelerated application-to-start calendar.
|Session||Course Start||Application Deadline||Document Deadline||Registration Deadline|
Learn how easily you can apply to the MA in Criminal Justice
The University of Southern Indiana's online MA in Criminal Justice program has specific requirements that applicants must meet to enroll. Please read the admission guidelines to ensure you qualify.
Applicants must meet the following criteria for admission to USI’s MA in Criminal Justice program:
- Completed bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Submit an online application and $40 application fee
- Submit all transcripts to Graduate Studies
- Official transcripts are required only from the institution at which your highest degree was earned. Electronic transcripts are preferred and can be emailed from the previous institution to [email protected].
- Unofficial transcripts from other institutions attended can be submitted via email by the applicant to [email protected]
- Applicants who wish to seek transfer credit for graduate coursework must submit an official transcript from the institution where that work was completed
Universities that are unable to send transcripts electronically may mail transcripts to this address:
USI Graduate Studies
8600 University Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47712
Explore the curriculum for the online Master of Arts in Criminal Justice
To complete this MA online program, students must complete 36 hours, including 18 hours of core coursework (six courses) and 18 hours of elective coursework (six courses).
Students must take all of the following courses:
Student may elect to take six electives to count toward the 36 credit hour degree requirement, or four electives and two thesis courses, or a combination of four or five electives and one or two internships (students can take Internship twice if needed):
"When I was in the MBA program, we actually looked into the logic and the qualitative aspects of, 'Okay, here's the math, but does this decision actually make sense?' As a business, there are always other factors, so that was really good for me."
– Stevie Lynch
"I was able to balance my personal life and my career as well as all of my coursework."
– Sarah Matthews, MBA online graduate